March 31, 2009

In a Drood Mood

Special thanks to my co-blogger, Kim, for sweetly gifting me a copy of Dan Simmons' Drood. I have to admit the book's heft intimidated me, but I devoured the first chapter last night and am hooked! The book paints a fascinating portrait of Charles Dickens (so timely this spring) and is cleverly and cuttingly narrated by the author's onetime collaborator, Wilkie Collins (The Woman in White). So far it's funny and suspense-filled and a little bit horrifiying, and I'm sure I'll tear through all seven hundred-odd pages in no time before passing it back to Kim.

The book's set to be adapted by none other than director Guillermo del Toro, of Pan's Labyrinth fame.

1 comment:

  1. I really love the Wilkie-Collins-as-narrator angle. Plus del Toro! Not that I need a 700 page book to be obsessed with, but I may have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete