June 27, 2006

Cowboy Classic?


"Well, I'll tell you the truth. I ain't no real cowboy, but I'm a hell of a stud." -- Joe Buck, Midnight Cowboy

It only just dawned on me this weekend while watching Midnight Cowboy for the second time in my life that it's actually an adaptation of a novel by James Leo Herlihy. While I'm not much for reading a novel after seeing the film version, I may make an exception for this one. Not exactly your conventional "buddy picture," it's the account of a naive male prostitute who meets both rotten luck and, ultimately, a best friend on the unsavory streets of New York City. In the film, Jon "Shiloh's grandpappy" Voight plays the wannabe cowpoke (no pun intended), while Dustin Hoffman is his down-at-heel sidekick, "Ratso" Rizzo. Has anyone out there read Midnight Cowboy or any of Herlihy's other novels? Just curious. -- Amy

1 comment:

  1. You can get a full rundown on Herlihy, whose papers are in Special Collections at the University of Delaware Library in Newark, Delaware, USA.

    Here's a link:
    http://www.lib.udel.edu/ud/spec/findaids/herlihy.htm

    ReplyDelete