July 28, 2010

BBC's New Show SHERLOCK, Episode 1

Sherlock and John

UPDATE: I loved the third episode. It was fantastic. Can't wait for more Sherlock.

Last night I watched the "A Study in Pink," the first episode of the new BBC/PBS show Sherlock from Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss. The contemporary spin on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's detective stories stars Benedict Cumberpatch Cumberbatch (love the name) as Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman (The Office, UK and Shawn of the Dead) as Dr. Watson. Apparently Matt Smith (Dr. Who) auditioned for the role of Watson, while Cumberpatch tried out for Dr. Who. We're lucky that didn't work out...

Nicotine patches and gratuitous texting are just some of the elements that transport the brilliant consulting detective into 21st century London. The casting and updated characters are compelling, but I didn't feel like the plot was fleshed out enough and a few elements were a bit gimmicky. I won't spoil anything, since it doesn't premiere in the U.S. until October and I'm reserving my full judgment until I see at least two more episodes. For now, my favorite contemporary Sherlock Holmes is still Bill Pullman in The Zero Effect. --Kim

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:22 PM

    You might well 'love the name,' so please do him the courtesy of getting the name right. His surname is Cumberbatch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, my mistake. Thanks for the "courteous" correction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so looking forward to this series ... I live in the US and thank you for not giving away any spoilers. Love the name Cumberbatch as well. It would be a great name in a gothic novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherlock Holmes is always fun to watch. I have to find this show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post! I am happy to find, this post are very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. Thanks for the information.
    audio video service

    ReplyDelete