June 15, 2006

Shadow of the Wind

Having just read Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind, I couldn't help but wonder if it's been optioned for a film yet. Surprisingly, here's what the author had to say about seeing his work adapted for the big screen in a Q&A at barnes&noble.com:

B&N.com: There is talk of a movie based on The Shadow of the Wind: rumors about whether or not the rights are up for sale, speculation about whether it will be filmed in Hollywood or in Spain, and questions as to whether you, being both an author and screenwriter, would allow others to write the screenplay. What's your view? What would your choice be?

CRZ: Since I have some experience in this area, I am especially cautious regarding the possibility of a film adaptation. If it is to happen, it will be because I feel the right elements are brought together and I'm persuaded that the adventure is worth a try. But at any rate this is not a priority for me at all. I think it is good that novels stay novels, and that there's no need at all for everything to become a movie, a TV show, a video game, a kiddie meal, or a licensed toy of the month. Nothing can tell a story, convey a world, and render characters with the intensity, depth, and magic that literature allows. The Shadow of the Wind will be always first and foremost a book, and proudly so.

Guess we shouldn't hold our breath for a movie version, however, it won't deter me from casting Diego Luna as the protagonist, Daniel -- at least in my imagination. -- Amy

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:00 AM

    How about Penelope Cruz as Nuria Monfort?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:37 PM

    Andy Serkis (based on his performance inLittle Dorrit) as FUMERO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:02 PM

    I just finished "Shadow of the Wind" I was surprised to see Penelope Cruz's name brought up as Nuria, I had pictured her in the role as I read. I am not sure exactly where Antonio Banderas fit into my movie, but I'm sure he does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:24 PM

    Banderas is Miquel Moliner :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Banderas as Miquel Moliner? No way. Banderas should be Julian Carax. Javier Barden, as Fumero, Penelope Cruz as Nuria, definitely. How about Gael Garcia Bernal as Daniel Sempere? (too old? maybe) Who would play Firmino? I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about some unknown actresses and actors? Why does it always have to be these A list types? The star of the show should be the amazing story that CRZ has moulded for our reading pleasure. I for one would not be sad to see it remain a piece of amazing literacy instead of having it tainted by some producers 'vision'. Time travellors wife anyone?

      Delete