Highlights of Masterpiece Theater's Henry VIII:
• Lots of frenzied, galloping, "Got an urgent message, dammit!" horseback footage, and a "Ren-fair"-worthy jousting scene
• Helena Bonham Carter as Anne Boleyn shows that despite "Fight Club," she's not abandoned roles that require a corset
• Close-up shots of Henry Tudor's "Liberace-style" rings as he heaves lovelorn sighs over Anne "I'm a Rules Girl" Boleyn
• Henry frets about going to hell for splitting with the pope; guess those countless affairs and sending subseqent wives to the chopping block are holy misdemeanors?
• Vexed by an itchy hair shirt and a good-for-nothing hubby, Catherine of Aragon gives Anne Boleyn the stink-eye and a few choice words.
• Hank and Annie B. celebrate their marriage by cutting a rug in a scene reminiscent of Captain Von Trapp and Fraulein Maria, followed by a royal roll in the hay.
• Oliver Cromwell appears in desperate need of a visit to Supercuts
• Henry blubbers at the birth of Elizabeth, future kick-ass monarch
• Anne pays the executioner and goes proudly to her death in a true "cover your eyes" gross-out-but-gripping moment.
...Four more wives to go in Part II, airing Sunday, Nov. 14.
I've also heard the 1971 "MT" miniseries, The Six Wives of Henry VIII, is phenomenal if you ever have nine hours to kill. -- Amy