August 22, 2006

20 Years Later: A New Room with a View?

Nicki posted today about the anniversary of the exquisite Merchant Ivory adaptation of E.M. Forster's A Room with a View. It truly is an incredible movie and I have to watch it and re-read the book no less than once a year. (The novel is on my list of life-changing reads.) There are so many achingly wonderful moments and the chemistry between Julian Sands and Helena Bonham Carter is off the charts. But, here's some news for you: Andrew Davies is following up his success with Bleak House by adapting A Room with a View for ITV. I'm looking forward to watching it (and can't wait to find out who he will cast), but know it will never take the place of the Merchant Ivory production. --Kim

1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. God.

    I love Andrew Davies lately, man!
    Although I don't think anything can top the Merchant/Ivory pic....that kiss in the field of purple flowers simply cannot be bested in my opinion. I was baby-sitting the first time I saw that movie and the parents came home before it was finished. I didn't want to leave their house!!! -- Amy

    ReplyDelete