October 19, 2007

Guest Blogger: Ron Hogan

Our second mystery guest today is Beatrice.com founder and GalleyCat editor Ron Hogan, author of what "Publisher's Weekly" called one of the year's most fun coffee table books, The Stewardess Is Flying the Plane!" --Kim

The best adaptation I've ever seen of a novel into a film is David Fincher's version of Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club -- I swear it's like they just ripped the pages out of the book and shot them.

Other favorite movies based on books? I'm going to have to go with some of the films that I covered in my book about '70s Hollywood, The Stewardess Is Flying the Plane!. I prefer Airport to The Poseidon Adventure, but I love The Spook Who Sat By the Door more than either of them. It's an absolutely astonishing film; I've described it before as "Shaft meets The Amateur meets The Battle of Algiers," and that about half taps into its power. And I have to confess I have a soft spot for Myra Breckinridge, even though Gore Vidal will hate me for saying so.

No comments:

Post a Comment