July 3, 2007

Regrets, She's Had a Few

Last night Nicki and I went to see the adaptation of Susan Minot's Evening, the painfully gorgeous novel about a dying woman who can't stop thinking about a man she met when she was a young girl. As expected, I did squeeze out quite a few tears before it was over but nothing like the buckets I shed while reading the novel (see: "Let's Get Cathartic In Here").

Meryl Streep, Toni Collette, Vanessa Redgrave, and Glenn Close were fantastic. Hugh Dancy (as Bobby) and Claire Danes were incredible. What was missing? Chemistry between the two leads, Danes and Patrick Wilson (as Harris). It's one of the reasons I doubt the movie will be a classic love story watched again and again.

I really do think Danes was absolutely wonderful and with the right male lead on board (and no, I'm not suggesting Jared Leto)... well who knows how great it could've been? I don't think Patrick Wilson is a bad actor either. But together? Nada. Zip. Nothing. I imagined if Bogie or Bacall, Hepburn and Tracy, or Stanwyck and Fonda (perhaps even Swayze and Grey) had been given the chance to play Harris and Ann. If only...

The movie, being of Hollywood, had a happier tone throughout which was nice. Well, in the same way it would be nice if Romeo and Juliet didn't really kill themselves and Outsiders Johnny and Dallas lived to spend another day with Pony Boy. --Kim

1 comment:

  1. Well, considering I have yet to read the novel, sounds like maybe I should begin (and perhaps end) there. I really need to check it out based on your raves.

    ReplyDelete