June 28, 2006

Casting Couch: Mysteries of Pittsburgh Revealed!

Last week we got a sneak peek at casting picks for The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. This week we hear that Sienna Miller (yawn), Max Minghella, and Maggie Gyllenhaal's baby daddy Peter Sarsgaard will star in Chabon's first novel Mysteries of Pittsburgh. Rawston Thurber (Dodgeball??) will direct. Minghella will play Art Bechstein, the son of a money launderer who becomes embroiled in a love triangle with Miller and Sarsgaard's characters. Mysteries is often thought to be loosely autobiographical with some readers fixating on Art's bisexuality. You can make up your own mind: Read Chabon's fascinating NYRB essay about writing Mysteries here. More on the adaptation here. --Kim

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:28 PM

    First of all, I consider myself THE #1 "Mysteries of Pittsburgh" fan, and somehow I only JUST learned about this film adaptation... which I've been waiting for since 1993 when I first read the book. And I am SO angry about it, I want to cry.

    Who does this director/writer think he is, CHANGING the story? I read in article that he got into filmmaking so he could one day make this movie (because of his love for the book) and then he combines Arthur and Cleveland into ONE character! What the f***!? (And why is Peter Saarsgard playing the role when he's clearly 10 years too old?)

    I checked out the official website and watched the behind the scenes footage. The director's wearing a Tigers cap and tossing a football around like some Total Jock. Doesn't look like a true “Mysteries” fan to me! (And his comment about "the gay sex comes later" slightly offended me. Not to mention the thought of Art Bechstein having sex with Cleveland...Dude, it would NEVER happen!)

    All I can say is, I got my MFA in Dramatic Writing at Carnegie Mellon (right behind the REAL "Cloud Factory," where it doesn't look like they're actually shooting) just so I could one day adapt this wonderful novel into a film...Which is EXACTLY what I will do, once this so-called version miserably fails.

    I could go on and on...

    ReplyDelete