May 25, 2006

Can Oprah Save Masterpiece Theater?

You know how you have certain groups of friends that you'd prefer to not introduce to other groups of friends? You like them both but feel that they just wouldn't hit it off with one another if you were to attempt to make an introduction? That's sort of the feeling that developed in the pit of my stomach when I stumbled across this blog posting from earlier this year in my attempts to find out if Masterpiece Theater has yet been taken off financial life support. Yes, I've been known to watch Oprah (although it's usually more of the train-wreck mentality than anything else...), and yes, it's cool that she loves books and all, but I REALLY don't want her hands mixed up in my Masterpiece Theater, even if she's willing to throw in some big bucks. I want to help save MT, but in the immortal works of Meatloaf, "I would do anything for love...but I won't do that." Is anyone with me? -- Amy

P.S. My biggest fear is that she will start mandating that John Travolta be cast in all leading male roles...

1 comment:

  1. wow. You really put this perfectly. I like Oprah to a point also, but some things just don't mix. Does that make me Jonathan Franzen-esque though? 'Cause I didn't think that was cool either.

    ReplyDelete