May 25, 2007

We've Got To Accent-U-Ate the Positive....

...and Elim-inate the Negative....(which in this film's case might be Anne Hathaway.) Oh, I really DON'T want to pick on her. Truly. And yet here I go: The girl's accent is to English what Madonna's accent is to Yankee-speak, at least based on my first glimpse of the trailer. I can only watch it and think, "There's Anne Hathaway," which is probably going to ultimately prevent me from losing myself in the story. And this movie poster with her blithely glancing over her shoulder as if she's shooting an ad for Crest White Strips is just unfortunate. But at least we have James McAvoy and Julie Walters and Maggie Smith and evil Phillip Bauer to enjoy. I'm also not sure what to make of glimpses of James McAvoy's naked bum in the trailer. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the male buttock as much as anyone else....but you know all those Jane Austen Society members who freaked over Keira Knightley's P&P are going to be in absolute fits. -- Amy

P.S. I will try to give Anne the benefit of the doubt until I've actually seen the entire movie.. That would be very gracious and Jane-like of me, indeed.

1 comment: