July 25, 2008

More on 'Brideshead Revisited'

I just wanted to add my quick two cents to the discussion of the new 'Brideshead' adaptation. If the movie is anything like the trailer I watched the other day, they've completely removed all subtly--an important aspect of Waugh's novel that reflects the social mores of the time--and complexity from the characters and their actions. (And no, I don't think I'm just tasting sour grapes because Jude Law, Jennifer Connelly, and Paul Bettany are no longer in the film as originally rumored). Nevertheless, I'll be giving this film a chance for the same reasons Amy mentioned in her posts. I'm counting on you, Emma!! --Kim

Update: Now that's harsh. Reader Jen M. emailed us this Slate article, which gently calls the new Brideshead movie "vomitous stupidity."

2 comments:

  1. Whoo-hoo! I'm just excited I got a shout out. Thxs Kim! : ) (clearly I need to get out more).

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i don't know if "lasting schlock" is selling me on the book OR the movie..

    ReplyDelete